1/3/06

"Turn the Page" - Bob Seger

Kristin continues to recover at a steady pace. She had both of the drain traps removed from her abdomen yesterday. Her diet has been advanced and she is eating well. Mr. Vicodin is managing the pain well, however we discovered that it must be taken in order for it to work.....Kristin has been waiting too long between doses. We have increased the number of walks and the length of each. It appears that, if all continues the same, she should be busting out of this joint sometime in the next 2 or 3 days. AWESOME!!!

Victoria is also doing well. She has stayed at 3 lbs. 9 oz. for the past 3 days. They are having problems keeping her IV working in various spots and they have considered placing a PICC line. The NICU sent in samples of Kristin's breast milk from 12-26 and 12-27. Yesterday we learned that the breast milk culture has Staph bacteria. It is possible that Victoria's infection was pass via Kristin's breast milk. So it appears that Kristin's surgery has had some positive effect. If she didn't get so sick the NICU would not have started their preemptive antibiotics and blood cultures. This Staph infection may have gotten out of control if they had waited to see symptoms. Victoria also had a spinal tap yesterday to check for meningitis. This involves removing a small amount of spinal fluid from the base of the spine. Victoria didn't make a peep during the procedure. A few minutes later, Dr. Chai came and told me that the fluid looked good.

It appears that both of my ladies are doing well. I can only hope that this latest trend continues and that I can get them both home soon. I want everyone to know that this is not a JOB to me. I am only doing what Kristin would do for me. My strength comes from her strength. Many of you would be amazed at her ability to tolerate discomfort and have a positive attitude in an overall shitty situation. She is my rock! We are both learning a lot about each other and we know that this event is a springboard to the rest of our lives. Another page. Another chapter. I feel this chapter is nearly over. Now we just have to finish the rest of the novel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is this a novel or an album? Either way I know it will have a happily ever after ending! Thank God you ordered the precautionary blood work on Victoria! Like my motto says "Everything happens for a reason"
Keep up the forward progress and know that you are all in my thoughts every moment! Love, Mom (Penny)
P.S. Give Victoria a kiss and a hug for me!