7/26/06

1 year blog-aversary

Wow. I think the date would have passed without me knowing it if Colleen hadn't said something. One whole year since we started this blog. So much has changed. I think about how we felt back then, just finding out we were pregnant, with high hopes and probably higher expectations. Never in a million years would we have imagined we'd go through so much in such a short period of time. I remember when I was reading through my "What to expect when you're expecting" book in the beginning, I would pretty much skip over all the high risk info, the stuff on pre-term labor/delivery just didn't seem to apply to us. Pregnancy just isn't one of those cases where you go into it expecting the best but preparing for the worst. I know by far we didn't get the worst, and for that I'm grateful. Everything in life is about your outlook, as I referenced before in the coffee bean story I posted (March 9th, if you want to read it again). Here's another little tidbit I read the other day about pessimism vs. optimism:


There were two little boys; one was an optimist and the other was a pessimist. They put the pessimist in a room full of toys and the optimist in a room full of horse manure. One hour later, they checked on the two boys. They noticed that the pessimist was crying and asked him, "What's Wrong?" He said, "One of my toys is broken." Then they looked in on the optimist, who was smiling and shoveling away. They asked him what he was doing and he replied, "Well, with all of this manure, I figured there must be a pony in here somewhere!"

I noticed yesterday that I still get excited to hear Victoria waking up from her morning nap. I bound excitedly up the stairs to pick her up, love her, and just hold and talk to her. I'm so lucky. We're so lucky. Thanks to all of you who've offered your support - emotional, physical, and sometimes financial. I know it's not all going to be sunshine and roses from here on out, but we're going to make the best of it, one day at a time. And it certainly helps to have this face smiling at us every day.

5 comments:

Plant Girl said...

Wow...certainly hasn't seem like a year has gone by already.

No one expects to go through what you did, no one expects to deal with those "worse case scenarios". I know that it wasn't something that you and Rod were prepared for but you two did an amazing job through everything. Both a huge source of strength and hope. I credit much of V's great progression in the NICU to the attitude of you both.

I can only imagine how lucky you feel. Every time I log on here and see her beautiful (and typically, smiling) face, I'm reminded how lucky I am as well to have her in my life. :)

Anonymous said...

I thank God for Victoria's beautiful smiling face too! I love to log on and see what she's up too! Thank you Rod and Kristin for sharing her and your life this way.
Love and hugs, Mom

Anonymous said...

Every day is a miracle, sit back and enjoy it while you can. Time flies and little V will be leaving "the nest", you will want to cherish every, and I do mean EVERY moment. They do grow up before your eyes!! Would you really want to know how life is going to be? Well maybe you do and maybe you don't, it really doesn't matter much. Life will be what it will be. Enjoy every second, cherish the good and the bad, you guys certainly know about the bad!
I can't believe the kids are already 8 & 9, were did the time go? Little Victoria is cute, precious, and adorable, not to mention a "miracle". Let us all enjoy her with the memories that the two of you share with us. I thank you and Rod for being such strong parents and keeping us in touch. The road has not been smoothe, well traveled, and eventful. Keep a stiff upper lip, stand tall and proud, you two ROCK! Victoria has reached her landmarks thanks to you two. Soon, little V will be running aroung, screaming her head off, laughing at all of us, and enjoying life in general. Let's all do that, enjoy. C

Anonymous said...

One of my highest motivators every day at work was the collage of photos of my smiling kids.

If this pic doesn't do that I think a person needs to change jobs!!!

Sami said...

Happy Blogiversary! I know that things didn't go the way you anticipated, but you and Rod handled things as they came and found the bright side, the hope that things would get better and that is a miracle. V- is a beautiful, well loved little girl that I enjoy hearing more about. As for sunshine and roses - they are what you make of them... Just like the little boy with the room full of manure... I think both Rod and you are optimists at heart and well as a fellow optimist that's a good thing.