5/5/08

A new doctor

Well, after reading Brynna's account of their less-than-fun times with teeth last month, I decided to make some calls. My regular dentist said a while back that they don't see kids until they're at least 3. I called Victoria's pediatrician last week to see if they had any recommendations for ped. dentists. After feeling slightly bad because they said they start to see kids at the age of 18 months, I got over it and made an appointment. So this morning, Victoria and I met Dr. Hollman. We talked all the way there about what he was going to do, and brought Mickey along for support.

The Doc was great - I sat in the chair, V in my lap, and Mickey on her lap. The doc first laid Mickey back, checked his teeth, then sat him up on the counter so he could "watch". Victoria did very well - he got out the mirror, checked her teeth, used a little pointy thing just to make sure there weren't any cavities on her back teeth. No cleaning, just basically to get her comfortable with going, and to make sure there wasn't anything going on I wasn't aware of.

Victoria got a glowing report - everything looks great, spacing between her teeth is actually a good thing, as it means the adult teeth will have room to grow when they come in.

There is still the slight possibility that her permanent teeth may have incurred some damage when she was in the NICU (the meds and oxygen preemies get when in the NICU sometimes can do damage to the permanent teeth as that's when they're beginning to form), but we won't know that for another 4-5 years.

And now a photo...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT!! You are such a good parent! That is exactly how a first experience to the dentist should be!! GOOD JOB! I know you both teach Victoria such good skills in such positive ways! Keep up the good work! Is that a sleeping bag she's in or what??

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful! So glad you guys had a great visit...I agree, that's how a first visit SHOULD be. Wish it would have been for us. I never ever expected to recieve the news we got from the dentist, considering our diligent dental care habits, but guess Ivey just got "lucky" with the gene pool. Oh well, hopefully it's an experience that will allow me to be able to support any other moms that have to go through such a hard, guilt ridden experience!